According to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN):
- One in 9 girls and 1 in 53 boys under the age of 18 experience sexual abuse or assault at the hands of an adult.
- 82% of all victims under 18 are female.
- Females ages 16-19 are 4 times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault.
- The effects of child sexual abuse can be long-lasting and affect the victim’s mental health.
- Victims are more likely than non-victims to experience mental health challenges.
- Victims are about 4 times more likely to develop symptoms of drug abuse.
- Victims are about 4 times more likely to experience PTSD as adults.
- Victims are about 3 times more likely to experience a major depressive episode as adults.